Friday, December 9, 2016

Some Thoughts to Chew On -- Don't Let Your Pets Gnaw on These Items

Some dogs, especially puppies like to chew on things, such as sticks and rawhide. But pet owners should be cautious about what they allow their pets to gnaw on. Even some items marketed specifically for dogs to chew on can be dangerous to its health. That is why it's important for a pet owner to keep the following away from their furry best friends.

Any canine owner who has taken a stroll down the pet section of the supermarket has probably seen bags of rawhide for sale and assumed that they must be safe to give to their dogs. But most experts caution that these treats can be downright dangerous for your pet for several reasons. One, rawhide, especially imported chews, often contain harmful chemicals. Rawhide chews can also pose a choking hazard. And if a dog has a tendency to swallow large pieces of rawhide, they could end up blocking its digestive system, which could require in abdominal surgery.

It's not uncommon for dogs to chew up sticks that they find while out and about, but splinters could, unfortunately, lodge in the canine's mouth, which could result in an infection. And if the dog gnaws and swallows a lot of wood, it could also end up causing a blockage in its intestinal tract.

Medicine Containers
Because small plastic pill containers filled with medication or asthma inhalers could be mistaken for chew toys by dogs, it is important to keep them out of a pet's reach. Asthma inhalers can be especially dangerous to a dog. If a canine should accidentally puncture the inhaler while chewing on the plastic casing, they could inhale a potentially lethal dose of the asthma medication. If so, the pet owner will need to take the pet to their veterinarian immediately for treatment. Whether your in St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Detroit, or the surrounding areas Harvey Animal Hospital is always there to help.

In the old days, pet owners wouldn't think twice about slipping a dog a steak bone, but these and other cooked bones can be dangerous to a dog's health. Steak and chicken bones for example can splinter and lodge in a dog's windpipe or could poke holes in your canine's stomach or intestines, which could result in peritonitis.
So what can responsible pet owners do for a pet that loves to chew? Fortunately, manufacturers have come up with a number of safe chew-able options for dogs. And if a pet owner isn't sure which treats are safe, they should consult with their veterinarian before purchasing new chew toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment